Outfoxed at Foxash


Walton Swifts Wfc fielded two teams at The Foxash Sports Walking Football Tournament played on their pitches at Foxash Green. The 'black and white minstrels' (consisting of over 60's players) played in Group 1 and the 'leprechauns' (for the most part over 50's players) displayed their skills in Group 2. The Minstrels squad of 10 was managed by John Burns, who made it clear from the off that he would rotate the squad. That could only have been the reason he substituted your roving correspondent in match 2.

The squad played five matches without troubling the scorer: 0-0, 0-0, 0-0, 0-1 and 0-1. It was small consolation that we lost to one of the semi finalists and the eventual tournament winners, Foxash A, by only one goal.

I think it is fair to say the squad didn't play to its potential but with that said, the standard of football within the tournament was very high. I can't finish the report without mentioning (and it is sour-grapes) the phenomenol stamina some of our opponents had... all that running match after match.

I thoroughly enjoyed the dayas i'm sure all the other participants did also. I am informed that Bingo will provide a proper report about the Leprechauns performances below.

The above article written by Mr. Kevin Harkin - I think he's a greengrocer, supplier of sour grapes

The Green Team, valiantly entered as Walton Swifts A, consisted of: Steve Gentry, Steve Chalmers, Bryan Kilsby, Paul Boardman, Bryan Chittick, Roger Mansfield, John Price, Paul Holloway plus team manager John Lake. First game against Colchester Phoenix 0-0, then a victory against Foxash B 1-0 with Ollie adding to to his impressive tally for the Swifts, this was followed by a scoreless draw against Leyton Orient, followed by a score-draw against Sufflok Strollers 1-1, again Ollie struck netting the equalizer just after Bryan Kilsby had been sinbinned for 2 minutes, the referee deeming his challenge to be reckless. The final game against Beccles Town proved to be a disappointing 1-0 defeat, as victory would have meant us qualifying for the semi final. However it was not meant to be. Steve Gentry in goal had another fine tournament, saving us on a few occasions. It was upsetting to see so many teams running and not being penalised by the referees' However, they appeared to be consistent with that ruling, that is probably caused by 'mainstream' football refs not being used to the 'walking' regulations and finding it difficult to adjust to the walking game. Anyway our thanks go out to them for keeping the tournament running smoothly and to Foxash Sports WFC for staging a fine occasion. Also congratulations to the hosts on being declared The Winners after a penalty shoot out against Colchester Phoenix. And a final thanks to the helpers on the day and for the excellent buffet.

Second part of the article written by John 'Bingo' Lake